Saturday, March 5, 2016

I Can't Tell You a Thing about the Weather

At least not in the way people mean
I know things like
How the moon sounds brighter after it snows
Or how the clouds taste when the sky is pink
And how sunlight feels when it is cupped in your hand
 
But no one wants to hear about things like that
They want ordinary things
Like
“It’s such a lovely day today, don’t you think?”
And
“This next snowstorm is supposed to be a big one”

They have never trailed their fingers through the sky
And felt the ebb and swirl of the blue
And they have never heard
The rain’s bright song
Or the wind’s long stories
Of everything it’s seen
And they have never tasted
The fresh picked stars
And felt the silver juice run down their chin

No
They just want to hear
“It’s been hotter today than it was yesterday”
And                
“I hope it rains soon, the grass sure needs it”

I can’t tell you anything about that
But if you want to come up
And sit among the stars
I can take you with me
Just ask

No comments:

Post a Comment