Saturday, April 16, 2016

A More Logical Love Poem

(inspired by a conversation with my friend laurel)


I can live without you.
 
You are not a
Missing piece
That I can’t function without.
I will not
Cease to be
If you leave my side.
 
If I were to
Give you my heart,
Just rip it
Out of my chest
And present it to you
Blood dripping through my fingers,
I would be dead within moments.
 
That’s not how it is with you. 
 
Scientifically,
I know that you are not as directly
Vital
To my existence
As air
Or warmth
Or food.
You are not more important
To my general well-being
Than the thing
Pumping blood inside my chest.
I do not have to have you
In order to survive.
 
But I still want you in my life.
 
The stars will not stop shining
If you choose to go away
(But they would not seem as beautiful
Without you next to me)
 
I am still a whole being
When I’m on my own
(But I am a better person
When I’m with you) 
 
Equations and physics would carry on
If you were to disappear
(But then what would be
The point?)
 
I know that
Scientifically,
I could live without you.
I could still breathe,
Still move,
Survive.
But the thing is,
I really don’t want to.
 
You may not be the thing
That gives me life,
But you are what makes it
Worth living.
 

1 comment: